Exploring the past, the present and possibilities- with sojourns into the abyss thrown in for good measure!

Monday, January 30, 2012

Bonsaaaaiiiiiii!!!!


BONSAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII


How many of us yelled this as we, bodies curled tightly, launched ourselves as cannonballs into a favorite swimming hole or pool? I know I did, repeatedly, while aiming to soak my friends in the biggest splash ever.  It wasn’t until Karate Kid came out that I realized it was more than a fun word, that it is an art form with a far reaching history delving through Japan and into China. Even as Mr. Miyagi shared his love with Daniel-son, as Daniel and his girlfriend (in KK3) tried to get the perfect tree from the side of a cliff, the true glory of these carefully crafted plants went right over my head.

Originally from China, the art of Peijing (Chinese landscape) was adopted by the Japanese and combined with Suiseki (the Japanese way of viewing naturally formed stones as works of art) to create Bonsai.

My first Bonsai, a Chinese Elm
In its literal translation “Bon” means little pot and “Sai” means planting, so together we get those lovely plantings in a little pot. However, while we think of the actual little trees when we hear the word, a Bonsai is MUCH more than that. The type of tree grown dictates how it should be delicately pruned to shape and mould its path. The vessel it is grown in, from the colors to the shapes have meaning- whether to energize or, more commonly, to relax. Naturally formed stones, and the layout of them on the earth of the pot, is just as much part of the representational art as the tree choice is. Everything about a Bonsai requires thought, love, dedication and the end result is a fulfilling, reciprocating piece of nature.

Whodda thunk, right?

What is so incredible for me is that these need not be special trees that cost a tonne of money either. Thanks to the root binding of the pot, their growth is controlled. There are several tree types that adapt to becoming a Bonsai exquisitely, anything from an Elm (Chinese Elm often called the “beginner Bonsai”) to a Pomegranate or other fruit trees to even my favorite herb, Rosemary.

Here is where I have to admit to being quite the novice. My husband thought one of these would make a wonderful wedding gift for me, and I now receive one at each anniversary (though I am requesting he stop around 15 or so, I think. Lol).  The art itself representing love, beauty and longevity means he was absolutely right. During our deep winters here in the north I have found them to be an incredible piece of nature for me to care for while I am missing the fullness of my garden. There has also been the joy of discovery. The one I received this past October dropped its leaves for its winter hibernation. They have since come back accompanied by deep pink bunds that are now bursting into magenta fringe flowers. Since he ordered it online as a gift, it came with no information about what it was, which means every stage is a magnificent surprise (btw, it’s a Fringe Flower tree).

Unlike any other plant I share space with, Bonsai require a bit…more. This isn’t saying they are difficult because they aren’t, however they can’t dry out and throughout summer need to be fertilized every other week with a nitrogen rich liquid fertilizer. The peaceful art of pruning the Bonsai is a process of learning and patience that involves controlling both the upper growth and the root system. Taking it slowly, learning before acting, small steps, etc. Generally when I get excited about something I barrel in headfirst, which is exactly the opposite of what these gorgeous bits require and what I needed. The lessons I’ve learned have been wonderful in every other aspect of my life.

For those who are apartment dwellers longing for nature indoors, these are amazing. The earthy nature of the tree, a nice fire-pottery pot, a covering of river smoothed stones, the smell of the tree wafting on the breeze through an open window- it’s one of the most relaxing pieces of nature you can invite into your home.

And for those, like me, who come to love this art form this is one of the most sublime ways to literally create your own sacred grove indoors. A bit of research should lead you to discovering which Bonsai trees best fit your representation of a sacred grove. You can place them around your home, your altar room or whatever space you deem as sacred. Keep in mind that with proper care Bonsai will literally last generations making this a spiritual journey and art form that you can share with your children, your grand-children, creating your own family tradition.

Kindness and peace to you.



1 comment:

  1. This is great! My father is a bonsai master who has been practicing the art for 40 years. I grew up with these gentle friendly trees all around. I feel like watching his approach helped me shape my own approach to the Craft: one that is ever-growing. Thank you for this great post!

    ReplyDelete